THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Looking Back

I was talking to a mom today of a child with a hearing loss. We were discussing cohclear implants and the choices that lay ahead for this family. After getting off the phone I started thinking of how far Elijah has come.

When I brought him home from the hospital he weighted five pounds nine ounces and needed oxygen. He was born eight weeks premature and was very sick for several weeks. He is now 4 ft. 2 inches tall and weighes 75 pounds. His lungs were weak for a long time, but he is very healthy now. He still sees a pulmanologist though and takes meds for his asthma. He failed his newborn hearing screening five weeks after his birth when he was being discharged from the hospital. He didn't even start talking until he was almost three years old, but did have signs prior to that. He was four before he was talking well. He now talks all the time and I wish I could have some peace and quiet. The day I brought him home, I was so overwhelmed by this small baby and now it seems like time has passed so quickly. We have new challenges with his tourette syndrome, OCD, ADHD and anxiety but I believe we are on a good path right now.

Jacob has changed so much in the last year too. He is now taller than me standing 5 foot 6 inches tall. He has this thick red hair that is just gorgeous and has the teen attitude too. He was sometimes the forgotten child, because his younger brother took up so much of my time. I think he has turned out OK though. I wish I could rewind time though and change a few things with him, but I'll just have to do my best right now with him.

I just remind myself that life is a journey and you never know where it may take you!

No comments:

Post a Comment