THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Sunday, March 7, 2010

Jacob--The Eating Machine

I was always told that teenage boys could eat a LOT, and now I am finding that out first hand. Jacob can really put away some food when he wants too. If he is not eating a meal, he is snacking in between. I even have to specify which snacks are Elijah's and which ones are Jacob's so I have food for their lunches for school. If not, I would get up to make lunches and have nothing in the house. I buy Jacob a quart of chocolate milk each week(he doesn't like the chocolate milk in the plastic conatiners, so I have to get it in the traditional paper square types and they only come in quarts) and he drinks it in about 2 days. He will drink white milk, but the chocolate milk is a nice treat for him.


I bought some blueberry bagels at Sprouts last week to try and told him he could eat them if he liked. There were six bagels and I think I got to eat one of them. I'll buy two packages this week. I usually eat my slim fast bars, but these bagels are about the same weight watchers points that the slim fast bars are and I like a change.

This morning Elijah and I ran to eat at Ballard Street Cafe here in Wylie and then to drop my car off to get an oil change and tires rotated. I never have time during the week to get this done. Neither of us like hash browns so I brought them home for Jacob along with a pancake from Elijah's meal. Now Jacob never gets up early on Sunday mornings, but I woke him up a bit and told him about his breakfast that was in the fridge. He got straight up out of bed and came in here to eat. I guess his stomach can motivate him more than me.

He has matured some and will ASK before raiding leftovers. He knows I plan to take them for lunch sometimes at school or have for dinner the next night.

I have been told by others who have raised boys that it will only get worse. I hope I can afford this boy. Eljah will be ten soon, so I have a few more years before he starts eating me out of house and home too.

No comments:

Post a Comment