I know there are some that may think this is not the best thing to write about, but there are some cool things about Elijah being deaf. Here are a few of them:
1. Eljah can turn off his hearing any time he likes. Not always a good thing for me, because sometimes he will do it when he is mad at me. He doesn't do it too often though.
2. No one ever knows if he is ignoring them or really not hearing them. Comes in handy with his brother and me.
3. He doesn't have to worry about annoying noises at night when he is trying to sleep.
4. Knowing sign language is cool, if you choose to use it! We all know enough sign that we can chat if needed using it.
5. He can choose cool cochlear implant processor colors and/or decorations! Elijah has camouflage eargear and green earmolds.
6. When he came home from the hospital as a baby, Jacob didn't have to worry being loud while Elijah slept. Elijah could have slept through a train horn!
7. Elijah had the most expressive facial expressions as a baby. We used those to communicate until he started picking up signs.
THE SHADDOX BOYS
Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!