I know there are some that may think this is not the best thing to write about, but there are some cool things about Elijah being deaf. Here are a few of them:
1. Eljah can turn off his hearing any time he likes. Not always a good thing for me, because sometimes he will do it when he is mad at me. He doesn't do it too often though.
2. No one ever knows if he is ignoring them or really not hearing them. Comes in handy with his brother and me.
3. He doesn't have to worry about annoying noises at night when he is trying to sleep.
4. Knowing sign language is cool, if you choose to use it! We all know enough sign that we can chat if needed using it.
5. He can choose cool cochlear implant processor colors and/or decorations! Elijah has camouflage eargear and green earmolds.
6. When he came home from the hospital as a baby, Jacob didn't have to worry being loud while Elijah slept. Elijah could have slept through a train horn!
7. Elijah had the most expressive facial expressions as a baby. We used those to communicate until he started picking up signs.
THE SHADDOX BOYS
Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. They live with their mom, Mary, who is the writer of this blog. Jacob is 19 and is now four inches taller than his mom! He also has ADHD and gorgeous red hair. He is a freshman at a technical college studying computer maintenance. Elijah is 15! He is in 9th grade and he is not in ROTC at his high school. He also had red hair, but it is lighter and not as thick as his brother's hair. He is hearing impaired(auditory neuropathy) and wears two cochlear implants. He also has tourette syndrome, ADHD, OCD and anxiety! Mary just started her 25th year as a teacher of the deaf. She is also in her last semester of graduate school to be a diagnostician! She will graduate in December of 2015!