THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Saturday, June 12, 2010

Traveling with Tourettes

Our trip to Orange Beach for five days went very well. Elijah did a great job playing with other kids in the pool and had a great time riding the waves. My mom, Jacob, Elijah and I started for home around 9:30 yesterday morning. We stopped in Hattiesburg, Mississippi to eat lunch at the Cracker Barrel.

Elijah had had very few tics while on our trip, but boy was he having tics on the way home and in the restaurant. I think he was stressed some about leaving the beach and wanting to get home to see our kitties. He was snorting, clearing his throat, and banging the table. I just rubbed his back and told him it was OK. It doesn't bother me and I wanted him to know it was OK to have his tics.

We had a nice waitress who did a great job waiting on us. She happened to walk up when Elijah had a series of tics. He was quite loud. My mom mentioned that he had tourettes and those were his tics. I usually don't bother to say anything unless someone asks. Well the waitress says, "Well he is just a special boy and y'all are special for taking him out like this to eat." I held my tongue. I wanted to say...."well are we supposed to keep him locked up at home and never take him out." I didn't though. I don't think she meant anything by it. I think she just didn't know what to say and said that. Elijah also has his cochlear implants that he wears and those are hard to miss, so most people know he is "special" for some reason or another.

I have though of making up a business card and explaining his cochlear implants on one card and on a different card his tourtte syndrome. When people look, I can just have him hand them a card depending on why they are looking/staring at him....because of the cochlear implant processors or because of the tics.

No comments:

Post a Comment