THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Monday, June 28, 2010

Minions!





Last week as we were shopping at Walmart I heard Elijah use the word "minions". Now I have heard this word, but I was wondering where he had heard this word. He was repeating the sentence over and over again. I couldn't hear exactly what he was saying but it was something like, "....and his minions."

Well, today when we went to see Shrek and there was a preview for "Dispicable Me" and the announcer says..."...and leads his minions..." meaning the main character was leading his minions. The minions are the little wierd looking followers. So I came home and looked up minion and it is....

- assistant: a servile or slavish follower of somebody generally regarded as important
- servant: a servant or slave
- favorite: a favored person

Now, I don't really think Elijah understands this word, but he has heard it. If he reads it or comes across it later in life, hopefully he can use context to know the definition or he may have to look it up. Here is a Disney movie though using this, in my opinion, large vocabulary word. It amazes me the words that children are exposed to everyday, and yes I know, some of them are words we would like our kids to avoid.

This made me remember the time I was teaching at the high school and one of our vocabulary words was indignant. Just a few days later, as Jacob was watching Thomas the Tank Engine, I hear the narrator say..."Thomas was indignant that...." and again I was in amazaement that a kid's show was using such higher level vocabulary.

All of this makes me realize what a sign dependent child misses on a daily basis, especially if the parents are not fluent signers. There is just so much vocabulary out there. I feel fortuante that this technology was and still is available. It was and still is a lot of work, but so well worth it! I wonder what new word he will use next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment