THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Wednesday, June 2, 2010

New Ears!!!



Today Elijah and I drove down to the audiologist's office and pick up his new silver Freedom Cochlear Implant processors. It was like gettin an early Christmas! The secretary handed me two brown boxes full of equipment. We got everything that you get with a new kit. Each processor came with an extra controller(we didn't get that when we upgraded in 2006), two coils,two rechargeable batteries and charger, as well as a case for each processor and some other odds and ends.



I let Elijah choose his color this time and he chose the silver. The other choices were black, beige, brown, pink and blue. I was really surprised he didn't get the blue ones! I decided I would keep the eargear on his beige processors, that are now his backup processors, to use for soccer and also for when we go down to the beach for our vacation. I'll take all four processors and use the beige ones for the beach and pool, but he still won't wear them in the water. I need to order two snugfits and might even get him some different colored mic covers and also stickers to decorate them with.

He was very cute when we were in the office. I put one of them on and he liked it. I then assembled the second one. The audiologist had programmed them for, but had not put the whole processor together. I didn't make an appointment to pick them up because she just loaded the MAPs and let me pick them up. She knew we didn't want to wait to get them. I put the second processor on him and he looked at me and said, "Mom, we going to take these home, right?" I told him, "OH yes!"

We got home around 4:15 and I went through everything. I basically cleaned out one box and loaded up his body worn processors in them. I found the return paperwork and I decided to run them to the local office supply place which fedex picks up from so I could get them on their way! I came home and went through all of the body worn processor cords and such to get rid of them. I then organized all of the new equipment and put the beige processor equipment in one area. I am OCD that way!

Tomorrow is the last day of school and Elijah will get to wear his new EARS! I like the sliver, it goes good with his red hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment