THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Sunday, June 20, 2010

Painting Project

Well, I have been home from vacation for a week and well, I am a little bored. I have read a few books, cleaned out some closets and enjoyed some movies. After seeing the state of Jacob's room, I decided that we would paint. Jacob got more excited about it after I drug him to the Home Depot to look for colors. He was very sweet and kept looking for the best deals on rollers and such. He was very serious about it! He chose Americana for his room. It is a darker blue, but not DARK blue.



Seen here it is the third one down.



Elijah chose Little Pond. Third one down, farthest left.










Elijah has a canary yellow on his walls now and Jacob has a light blue! That will all change soon.

Elijah was very excited, but drove us both a little crazy. He asked about everything we saw, and what they were used for. He enjoyed watching the man mix the colors with the machine!

We are going to start in his room, since it is the easier of the two rooms...in some ways. Jacob has some shelves to work around and two windows. Elijah only has one. The prepping to paint is what I hate, but painting is something I enjoy. The walls look so nice and clean! Of course, we may have to then tackle the doors, but I'll worry about those later!

While we were there a woman walked up and pointed to Elijah asking if he was my son. I said YES, wondering what he had done. She then said, "How old was he when he got his implants?" I told her he was 18 months old for the first one and 4 1/2 for his second. She then said she just found out today that her one month old nephew is deaf. Her mom and sister are also deaf, but got their implants late in life, so they did not get as much benefit as a younger person implanted. She was amazed at how well Elijah spoke. I told her about CIcircle and other support groups online. I also told her about my blog and how to find my videos on youtube! She went on her way shopping and we got our things togehter.

It didn't cost too much to get all of the materials, although I am sure we will have to buy something else! When we were driving home, Jacob said, "I called Cris, he said he would help paint. I think this will be a fun project!" Anything to get him off of that computer for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment