THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Thursday, June 3, 2010

Elijah's and the Sinking Titanic



Elijah surprises me more and more each day with what he knows. Before I tell this story I have to explaing the game we play on the way to school. My mother was spending the night one night with us and teased Elijah saying he would have to sleep in the attic. He then came back with,"grandma has to sleep in the fireplace." They went on and on for a while coming up with strange places to sleep. Elijah loves this game and I use it as a tool to teach vocabulary and also to ask WHY a place may not be a good place to sleep.

About a week ago, he started this game with me in the car on the way to school. We went back and forth a few times and then he told me, "MOM you will sleep in the sinking Titanic." I was impressed he knew what the Titanic was. He then said, "You will sleep in the bow." Ok now I am really impressed and said, "THE bow, really?" He came back with, "No you sleep in the stern." Well I knew one of these was the front of the boat and the other the back, not sure which was which(I looked it up later), but I was impressed he just new the terms. I emailed his teacher later and she wrote back taht he loved to read a book about the Titanic that she had and that he loved looking at a picture of the ship with the different parts labeled.

So today, he starts with the game again and tells me again I will sleep in the sinking Titanic. He then tells me I will sleep in the cabin in the birge. I said, "The birge, don't you mean the bilge(his /l/ is not always the greatest." He argued with me about how to say it and I just said whatever, because I wasn't sure I was even right. I did look it up later though, and it is the bilge! Again, quite impressed. He then said, "Mom, the first class has a lot of money. The second class has a little money and the third class is at the bottom." I am sure he meant at the bottom of the ship, where the third class cabins were. WOW! All of this from reading a book.

He is a smart little guy, who isn't so little anymore. Today was his last day as a third grader! He is now officially a fourth grader and summer has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment