THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What is going on?

Well, I am not sure what the heck is going on with Elijah, but I sure do wish I had that user's manual I mentioned in another blog. His tics are OFF THE CHARTS to say the least and behavior is just crazy.

We went back to the doctor this past Monday and decided to lower his ADHD med. The reason being, is behavior seemed to be worse in the morning and that may be when the ADHD med is at its peak and if tics are bad, this would make them worse. She thinks tics are driving behavior. Now if I only knew that for sure or not.

I won't even get into what he did yesterday at school, but we have not seen this kind of behavior in over a year. It is like he is a different child. Which truly makes me believe it is all NEUROLOGICAL and he really cannot control some of it. I think the teacher agrees, but neither of us knows what to do about it. He still can't hit, spit and kick others. I have found someone who knows about tourettes to speak to the teacher and hoping she has some ideas.

I just don't know how to help. I know he wants to behave, but his body just won't cooperate sometimes.

Hoping this med change will help. It has only been a few days and the doc said it may take a few weeks to know if it will help with tics. I am hoping if tics get better, then behavior will improve.

2 comments:

  1. can i ask what medds you do? feel free to email me off of the blog. lapain.amy at sbcglobal.net. i recently talked to developmental ped about maybe ssris given the combo of issues in my son

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I didn't realize there was a comment on here. I have been so busy with Elijah that I just haven't checked, and not many people comment. I don't mind emailing you so we can chat, but not sure how to that. I clicked on your link but can't figure out how to contact you.
    You can email me at KCKitty22@aol.com if you like.
    I saw your other post as well. would love to chat.
    sorry again!

    ReplyDelete