THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Monday, February 15, 2010

Karma?


I have been thinking a lot about Karma. There are people in my life or who were in my life who seem to have bad luck and/or good luck. I don't want to get into the details of these people's lives but it has made me wonder about Karma. You always hear "Karma it's a b**ch!", as stated on that poster in this blog. I mean is it as simple as "what comes aorund goes around," so I looked up Karma on the web and got a definition.


the effects of a person's actions that determine his destiny in his next incarnation


Karma is a concept in Hinduism which explains causality through a system where beneficial effects are derived from past beneficial actions and harmful effects from past harmful actions, creating a system of actions and reactions throughout a person's reincarnated lives.


I do think that we need to treat others as we want to be treated and if we do then it we get that payback in a good way from some other person. I am trying to live my life in a more positive way. I was and still can be a negative person. I can look at the flaws instead of looking for the good in person or situation.

I am not sure if there is such a thing as Karma, but I do believe we can make our own luck by how we treat others. I am in no way prefect at this, but I do try. Last week, as I sat at the CVS pharmacy at 6:30pm waiting for a prescription, that I had called in, but was not filled on time....I had a choice. I could be mad or take the time to just wait and realize it was an honest mistake. They were crazy busy and after about 20 min I asked if it was ready....the phramacist said yes, so I waited in line again and got it. The young man behind the counter knows me well and said "you didn't have to wait again. I'm sorry I didn't call you forward for this, its been here ready." My response was, "don't sweat it. there are bigger things for me to be upset about." I think he was shocked. I am sure someone gets in his face on a daily basis at this busy pharmacy. While I had been waiting though, I had seen at least one act of kindness. An older woman was sitting by me right near the line and stood up to get in line. She was sitting to rest, and as she stood she said "oh, am I cutting in front of you," to a woman in line. The woman said, "oh no, you are fine, go ahead, I saw you come in before me." This made me smile. People being kind. I hope later in the evening or the next day that someone returned a kindness to this woman who let someone in line ahead of her. Seeing all of this made it easier for me to wait and not be upset that things hadn't gone as I wanted them too!

As I go through my day, I remember to not sweat the small stuff and to BREATHE. If that is karma, then so be it, but maybe it is just that kindergarten rule we all learned...."treat others as we want to be treated."

No comments:

Post a Comment