THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Saturday, February 27, 2010

Redheads!

I am not the redhead in the family, although I had auburn hair as a baby. It still has auburn highlights at times and I sometimes color it with some red to cover that GRAY! However, I have two redheaded boys, as well as a brother and sister with red hair.


Alex is my brother and he is now 21 years old and my sister Katie is 18. Jacob my oldest is 13 and Elijah is 9. I babysat Alex and Katie over two different summers before having Jacob and even part of the summer that Jacob was born. Alex was 8 and Katie was 4 at the time. When Jacob was born we were shocked to see this RED hair. It was the talk of the night as well as the fact that he was a boy. Alex was thrilled to have a boy come along. We had not found out the sex of the baby during the pregnancy.

Jacob had this great red hair that always got comments. With his dad and I having brown hair, we always got asked..."Where did that red hair come from?" Later when I was pregnant with Elijah, I would cart around Alex, Katie and Jacob. Of course I got the looks of LOOK at that MOM with three redheaded kids and one in the oven. If anyone asked though, Alex and Katie, quickly pointed out that I was their sister, which got even crazier looks.


We didn't find out the sex of the baby when I was pregnant with Elijah, but of course, he came early so we found out early. Out he came with RED hair too, which was a shocker again. Of course, we had more worries with Elijah, but he was a pretty little thing.

I have always felt blessed to have my two boys and for their gorgeous red hair. Jacob has this thick red hair, while Elijah's is thinner and more strawberry blonde. How different they look, but they do look like brothers.

Genetics is such a funny thing. You put two people together and get this baby who is part of you both and part of all aspects of the family. There are some things I wish I could change in that genetic mix, but then again other things might change that I don't want to change. I'll keep my redheads, just as they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment