THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Monday, February 15, 2010

Medicine Update!

Elijah's tics have lessened quite a bit since he started his new medication last Tuesday. I really wasn't sure if I sure start him on a second dose in the morning, but after really watching him this weekend I did start him on it this morning. What I noticed was that the tics were rarely around in the morning, but started to reappear in the afternoon. Since he takes the one pill at night, I assumed it was wearing off by around noon.

As I sit here, I am hearing and still seeing tics, but they don't seem to be as extreme. It took several days to really see an improvement when he first tried it, so hoping to see more improvement in a few days. The "licking my hand" tick is back. He licks and licks the palm of his hand and then wipes his face with his palm. I don't really mind it, but you just NEVER know where those hand have been and there may be GERMS on them! The snorting and slapping tic are still there, but again hoping those will improve in a few days.

The only side effect I have seen is a HUGE increase in his appetite. He seems to be eating more and saying he is hungry more. He is not overweight, so it is not an ISSUE right now, but could become one.

He and Jacob had a holiday from school today. I had to work, so my mom kept them. Elijah had to run several errands with her today, with one of them being to a doctor's appointment. She reported that he was excellent all day.

Overall, everything else is going pretty good. Jacob showed off his TEEN mouth today so his laptop is sitting in my room. Nothing too serious, but he NEEDS to learn that sometimes it is just better to keep your mouth shut. This was a lesson I learned at around his age....13!

1 comment:

  1. If it is the med we talked about it is infamous for weight gain. It works on the part of your brain that tells you EAT....josh said he felt like he would starve to death but was sick from eating.....was pitiful. He gained 26 pounds in 3 weeks...now Jake took it for over a year and gained.....ZERO-not an ounce and he was not hungry on it much either. weird.

    ReplyDelete