THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Saturday, January 30, 2010

Workshop on Tourettes

I went to a workshop today at the educational service center for our area on Tourette Syndrome. Susan Conners was the presenter and she did an awesome job. I have already emailed her with a question. She was easy to talk to and KNOWS so much about tourettes. She has it herself. She is also a very giving person offering her email and to phone in for IEP meetings if needed.

I feel like I haven't really always been dealing with Elijah's tourettes. I have got to get myself more educated and become even a stronger advocate than I have been. It is an overwhelming thing to deal with. There are no easy answers and I think what I really liked about today was that Susan really understood and was able to answer all the questions asked of her. Nothing seemed to stump her.

Everytime I think I have tourettes figured out, it throws me a curve. The OCD and ADHD don't help at all either.

Taking Elijah to the doctor on Monday. When his tics really get going, he is having about 70 tics every 10 min. They are really hard tics.

I am going to enjoy the rest of my weekend! Staying home out of the cold! I have a few errands to run, but they won't take long and I'll get home to my warm house!

No comments:

Post a Comment