THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcome 2010!

Today was just about like any other day, except I didn't have to go to work. Elijah and I went grocery shopping. He spent the last of his Christmas money on a toy car. We hung out at home and then I started making some calls. I wanted to find some gloves for Elijah to help him with his hitting tic. I called one place and didn't get much help there, but then called Dick's sporting goods. The woman was very helpful and went to check and see what they had. She thought a women's small athletic glove might work for him.

Elijah and I set off and went down to Dick's. Lisa, who I had talked to on the phone, helped me find Sherman who helped us with the gloves. When I mentioned why we wanted the gloves they didn't even flinch or ask questions. they just helped us find a glove that fit. They asked if color mattered and it didn't, but of course NO PINK! Elijah tried them on, and I never know if he will cooperate but he did.

We bought the gloves and came home. He has worn them since he has gotten home and I think they are keeping his hand from hurting. He slams his hands down HARD on the computer desk we have sometimes with a fist and sometimes with just his hand palm down. These gloves have some panding in the palms so hoping that will keep him from injuring himself. The psychiatrist also said that the weight of the gloves on his hands might help some. I did email Elijah's teacher today to explain the new tics that have come about and about the gloves. I'll give her an update on Monday. He goes back to school on Tuesday.

My brother, his wife and my niece came for dinner. We had some blackberry wine, OH it was so good. Dinner was great and we played some Wii. What an exciting life we live. They cruised home a little early. Peggy, my SIL, and I are going to go and see New Moon tomorrow! My brother is going to watch Elijah for me!

On Sunday, I will go to pick up a former student who is going to babysit the boys on Monday. Someone suggested I let his 13 year old brother Jacob just babysit. Normally, a 13 year old could watch a little brother that is 9, but this is not a typical situation. Now I have left Elijah with Jacob for short periods of time while I run an errand in town, but not for long.

I am hoping this will be a good year. I am going to start back on my weight watchers next week and will continue with my Wii fit plus. I dropped about 60 lbs 5 years ago and I can do it again!

Hopefully Jacob will one day emerge from his room. He is addicted to his laptop right now and I am letting him has his fun. School will start back up and I'll have to be the MEAN mom and make him get off his laptop and go to bed.

My next goal for us is to make it to the beach this summer. Elijah really loves it. Jacob likes it, he always comes around once we get there and I love the beach...although I hate getting into a bathing suit, but maybe I'll drop that weight and won't mind so much this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment