THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Thursday, January 28, 2010

ARGHHH TOURETTES!

Don't worry, I am over it now, but sometimes I just get so sick of tourettes. It is not the tics, it is the OCD, ADHD and anxiety that come with it. Elijah has been doing SO WELL, I mean great. Then tics got bad in the last few weeks and it seems behavior has steadily gone down hill. He has had his points frozen at school ALL WEEK....not one day that has been good all day. On Monday he was OFF TASK for 90 min. He would not sit and do his 10 min time out. WTH! We have not seen behavior like this since last year!

He is also pushing things at home. He is telling me NO more and not going to time out when told to go there. It is so hard to keep a calm demeanor with him when he acts that way.

Today was the last straw. I told him NO electronics(Wii, computer, nintendo DS....) until he has a good day. It doesn't have to be perfect, but NO hitting and do what you are told.

I can deal with tics. Tics don't bother me. I can deal with a little defiance, but not all out DEFIANCE. I know it could be worse, but it could be better too.

My vent is now over. I feel better. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. hi ...friend Val from AL sent me your blog. my kiddo is 9 yo. has a cochlear implant and 'other'... autisticish? adhdish? ocdish? and started..what i think are tics. anyway- this particular post hit home. we have some behavior 'issues' (understatement) too.

    ReplyDelete