THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Monday, June 3, 2013

Jacob Broke his Finger

We arrived home from the grocery store yesterday and as Jacob was getting out of the car, he managed to slam his finger in the door. He reacted as would be expected and we managed to get in the house to take a look at it. His index finger on his left hand was pretty banged up. We bandaged it up and put ice on it. After about two hours, the bleeding would not stop. I left Elijah home with my honey and took Jacob to the local ER. This was my first time to take Jacob to the ER for something that had happened to him. Elijah has been MANY time!

An x-ray revealed that he had broken the tip of his finger. He also had a hematoma under his fingernail. The doctor numbed his finger and then relieved the pressure by putting a hole in his fingernail. He sure did squeeze my hand pretty tight, when she did that. The nurse then put a splint on it and we came home.

He did fine at school today and slept good after having some pain meds last night. I called the pediatrician and got the name of an orthopedist. I am taking him on Thursday to see that doctor. I need to stop and pick up his x-ray from the hospital before we go! I also called the Accident Insurance people and I do have a policy on Jacob! That will help with some of the co-pays! I am glad to have good health insurance but copays add up quickly!

We took the bandage of and cleaned his finger this evening. It looked a lot better, but still pretty bruised. It is still pretty sensitive. He will be in the splint for at least six weeks. I am curious to see what the orthopedist says on Thursday. I'll keep y'all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment