THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Thursday, June 20, 2013

Elijah's Deaf?

This is a picture of my nephew Trent and Elijah out at a restaurant this past weekend. Elijah and I went to the Texas School for the Deaf in Austin for a Weekend Retreat and then drove in to see my sister who lives near San Antonio.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon and later that night we had to decide on sleeping arrangements. The boys quickly agreed that they would both sleep in Trent's full size bed. I let Elijah stay up a little later than his usual 9:00 bed time and so he was very tired when I finally got him to bed. It was around 10:00 that night and we had done a LOT of walking and working in the days before our arrival. Elijah got into bed before Trent and quickly fell asleep. I went into the guest room to get ready for bed and when I came out Trent was in bed and Elijah was asleep.

I went in and talked to Trent who was whispering, because Elijah was asleep. I whispered an answer to a question he posed to me and then said in a regular voice, "Hey, I don't have to whisper, Elijah can't her me." Trent whispered back, "He can't hear you?" I said, "No, he can't, he is deaf without his implants on." Trent had this surprised look on his face. Now, I know I have talked to him about Elijah not being able to hear without his processors, but I guess kids have a hard time comprehending NOT hearing anything. Trent continued to whisper and said, "He's deaf." I said "YES" and then yelled right into Elijah's ear. Of course, Elijah slept right through it. Trent sat there dumbfounded and started talking in a regular voice.

My sister came into the room to see what all the yelling as about and I told her the story. Later, I heard her talking to Trent and asking him if he wanted some music to help him fall asleep. I heard him answer with, "Yea, that would be nice and it won't bother Elijah." Too cute!

We had a great visit and both boys got along very well. They both loved swimming and I signed with Elijah while he swam with no processors on. Trent learned a few signs too as did my sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment