THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Thursday, November 28, 2013

New Tic

Elijah has a new vocal tic. It is a sound I cannot even explain. His "clearing throat" tic is also back. I wish I could explain this new vocal tic. It is a tone that is at a high pitch and the tone changes. It starts as a low pitch wound and then gets higher. Like a "aaa AAAAAAAA". It is actually a little louder on the second part of the tic along with the higher pitch. Thankfully, this is not a tic he does ALL day. It does come and go. The throat tic also comes and go, but I hear both daily right now. His chewing tic is also pretty intense right now. He actually got his chewelery and used it the other day, with no prompt from me.

The tics don't seem to bother him, as far as I can tell. Right now, the tics aren't bothering me too much. I can usually tolerate them, unless I am under stress, and then the noise just seems to bother me more. I think he has been excited about the holidays and this has caused his tics to increase. All we can do is just keep on keeping on! That is life with Tourette's!

No comments:

Post a Comment