THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Sunday, November 3, 2013

Twelve Socks!

I never know what I will find when I walk into Jacob or Elijah's room. It can range from plates, utensils, and sometimes even food being left in their rooms. Thankfully, this has decreased quite a bit, but I still never know what will turn up.

About a week ago, Elijah snuck into Jacob's room when no one was home and went through Jacob's things. He left A LOT of evidence behind that he had been in his big brother's room. In fact, he knocked over a whole shelf of books and even the shelf on this small book case. Jacob wanted Elijah to clean it up and I agreed, however Jacob kept forgetting to remind me to have Elijah do it. Jacob bossing Elijah around is NOT a good idea....they usually argue.

Well, yesterday I was in Jacob's room and saw this mess of books on the floor and said, "let's get Elijah in here to clean this up." Jacob has a big bed and a big dresser, so I started moving a few things out of the way so Elijah could get in the corner to get the books up. In the process of doing this I found a few socks. I started digging around the base of the bed and found a few more socks between the bed and wall. I look at Jacob and say, "what is up with THESE SOCKS?" He replies with, "MOM just leave it alone." Well, of course, I keep looking and when it is all said and done there are TWELVE socks....this is SIX PAIRS of SOCKS!

I asked Jacob why these socks don't seem to make it to the clothes hamper that is IN HIS ROOM. His reply is, "I forget to put them in there." I reminded him that when he removes the socks if he would DROP them in the hamper instead of ON THE BED or ON THE FLOOR he wouldn't FORGET! I told him that if I find any clothes on his floor or between the bed and wall, I will take his laptop up earlier in the evening. I then had the same discussion with Elijah, because he just drops his clothes right on the floor and he has a hamper in his room too. Is this just a GUY thing or do they ever learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment