THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Merry Go Round



I sometimes feel like I am on Merry Go Round when it comes to Elijah. He has his UPS and DOWNS and I am usually along for the ride, ready to catch him if or when he falls. He is doing very well at home right now, a bit bossy, but compared to his past behaviors he is much improved. His newest thing is to tell me, “NO WAY!” when I tell him it is time for bed, time for dinner, or just time to do something different than what he is doing. I always give him a reminder of “In five minutes you need to _________.” Transitions can be very difficult for him.

Yesterday at school he had a rough day. It wasn’t one of his most horrible days, but not one of his best days. His teacher emailed me that he had bitten someone in PE. He had just walked right up to this kid and bit them on the arm. She asked if it could be a tic. I decided to call her rather than email her. I called and got clarification that it was a gentle bite, if a bite can be gentle. I explained that he has done this to me at home several times when he is close to me. He never bites hard, but he does bite. He has also grabbed my hand and licked it. Are these tics? I told her I just didn’t know for sure.

I am hoping he had a better day today. We got back to the doctor tomorrow. I lowered his new medication after reading the side effects and talking to his doctor yesterday on the phone. I upped one of his previous meds that we had lowered a few weeks ago. I am hoping we can find that right combination so that he can have better days. The tics are not the problem, except for that biting, it is the other behaviors of being defiant and not following the rules.

One day I might not be there to catch him when he falls, but for now I am ready to do whatever is needed to help him on this journey. I just wish I knew HOW to help him. There are just no easy answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment