THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. They live with their mom, Mary, who is the writer of this blog. Jacob is 19 and is now four inches taller than his mom! He also has ADHD and gorgeous red hair. He is a freshman at a technical college studying computer maintenance. Elijah is 15! He is in 9th grade and he is not in ROTC at his high school. He also had red hair, but it is lighter and not as thick as his brother's hair. He is hearing impaired(auditory neuropathy) and wears two cochlear implants. He also has tourette syndrome, ADHD, OCD and anxiety! Mary just started her 25th year as a teacher of the deaf. She is also in her last semester of graduate school to be a diagnostician! She will graduate in December of 2015!





Saturday, May 8, 2010

Being a Parent

Jacob will be 14 years old this coming July. He got himself into some trouble with two other boys recently and is now grounded....no computer, no nintendo, no hanging with these other boys and NO staying home alone for long periods of time. He has had to go everywhere that I go when I leave this house. I am even driving him to school in the morning rather than have him ride the bus.

Of course, he hasn't liked it too much but he is taking it in stride. In fact, when we were driving back from a doctor's appointment for Elijah, in heavy traffic, and it seemed like we would never get home, I asked him, "so how do you like being grounded and having to go everywhere with me?" I was shocked by his answer. He said, "It isn't too bad, we get to spend more time together." Now you are probably thinking that I never take this kid anywhere with me, but I am always trying to get him to go places with me. I always want him to go, but don't want to force him if he doesn't want to go off with us, now I think I'll be making him go more. Maybe he thought that if I didn't make this demand of him, that I really didn't care if he went or not.

OH and he is now asking for his computer back, and he still has a few more weeks before he will get that back.

No comments:

Post a Comment