THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Saturday, May 8, 2010

Being a Parent

Jacob will be 14 years old this coming July. He got himself into some trouble with two other boys recently and is now grounded....no computer, no nintendo, no hanging with these other boys and NO staying home alone for long periods of time. He has had to go everywhere that I go when I leave this house. I am even driving him to school in the morning rather than have him ride the bus.

Of course, he hasn't liked it too much but he is taking it in stride. In fact, when we were driving back from a doctor's appointment for Elijah, in heavy traffic, and it seemed like we would never get home, I asked him, "so how do you like being grounded and having to go everywhere with me?" I was shocked by his answer. He said, "It isn't too bad, we get to spend more time together." Now you are probably thinking that I never take this kid anywhere with me, but I am always trying to get him to go places with me. I always want him to go, but don't want to force him if he doesn't want to go off with us, now I think I'll be making him go more. Maybe he thought that if I didn't make this demand of him, that I really didn't care if he went or not.

OH and he is now asking for his computer back, and he still has a few more weeks before he will get that back.

No comments:

Post a Comment