THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Tuesday, May 18, 2010

In The Blink of an Eye

A friend of mine called me this past Sunday and she was quite shaken. She had taken her three girls, ages 7, 3 and 18 months old to McDonalds to eat. While walking in the parking lot she noticed a car that had pulled in that was still running, and realized he was going to back out. The car backed out quickly as she yelled at her two oldest girls to run and she stepped back, holding the baby. The car came close enough that she reached out her hand and was able to touch it(she wasn't trying to touch it, more like THINK she could actually stop it). The car FLEW out of the parking lot.

She called me as she was sitting in McDonalds trying to calm her nerves. Of course, the thought of her or any of her girls getting hit just made me sick. This car would have probably killed them.

We finished talking and as I got off the phone, I started thinking about how things can change so quickly in our lives. My friend said she almost let the baby walk, but decided to carry her. It is a good thing she did! I have always been over protective of my kids, but it only takes that one instant of not paying attention that can change your life or the lives of those around you. I am also trying to get my almost fourteen year old son, Jacob, to understand that the choices he makes now can affect him the rest of his life.

So much of what we do in life revolves not just about the choices we make, but about the choices others make around us. Sometimes it is just luck or coincidence. I for one though want to always be on alert, watching for those who are not making good choices, so that I can avoid them as best I can. Sometimes you just can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment