THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Thursday, July 26, 2012

Venting--Cochlear Americas and ESCO

About two weeks ago, someone posted on one of the deaf/hard of hearing forums, that ESCO could no longer COCHLEAR processors. Elijah's processors are covered under ESCO until Aug. 11th. We purchased two new Freedom processors back in 2010 and they came with a warranty, but not loss/damage, hence I purchased ESCO. I finally had a minute and checked ESCOs website and COCHLEAR was not listed. So, I called Cochlear and you can no longer cover processors through ESCO. Now, I am not really sure WHOSE decision this was....Cochlear or ESCO, but either way it is irritating.

Why do I have to find this out through a forum? Why can't either COCHLEAR or ESCO contact me and let me know this. ESCO knows that our coverage expires on August 11th, they could send out a letter. Cochlear suggested I call my home owners insurance and I am getting Cochlear to send me a quote for cost of replacement. I will then email that to my agent who can quote me a price for a personal articles policy. This will cover the processors if they are lost or damaged and there will be no deductible. Now, lets hope it isn't more expensive than ESCO. Now next year, when the warranty runs out I will purchase a warranty WITH loss/damage and cancel the home owners personal articles policy.

I asked COCHLEAR what is happening with people who upgrade now and they said their policy has changed and UPGRADES now come with a warranty and loss/damage. I guess those of us who purchased new FREEDOMS or upgrade to the NUCLEUS 5 before then are just having to figure things out on our own.

I really think all parents of children who will be getting a cochlear implant NEED to be educated about the expenses that come down the line. No one mentions how much an extended warranty is. No one tells you how much it costs to repair them. I hate to complain, I really do, because without his CIs Elijah would be so lost. They have been a miracle for him....that and the therapy afterwards, but parents need to know what it will be like to maintain this equipment. It seems like there is always something to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment