THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Thursday, February 10, 2011

Coincidence!



I stayed home with Elijah today to take him to the pulmanologist. He has had an awful cough for two weeks and we have tried breathing treatments and other meds. We stopped at Target on the way to buy some cat litter, it was on sale. I decided as we were walking in to get a vanilla latte at Starbucks. After I paid and as I turned around a woman said to me, "I think I know you. Was your son ever at Presby(Presbyterian Hospital) Dallas in the NICU. I looked at her and said, "Yes" as my brain tried to place her. She said, "I am a nurse there, my name is Jenna." Just as she said that my brain put it all together and I reached out and gave her a big hug as I said, "JENNA!!"

That is Jenna in the picture with Elijah on the day he came home from Presby. He was in the NICU for about 2 weeks and then in the special care nursery for another 2 1/2 weeks. Jenna was his nurse in the special care nursery during the day. She had him on pretty much every shift she worked. I have to say she was my favorite nurse during Elijah's entire stay int he hospital.

We sat and chatted right there in Target for about ten minutes. She thought she recognized me and then she saw Elijah with his red hair and his cochlear implants. We had seen her a few times at the NICU reunions that we had attended a few times in the first few years after he was born. She knew he had cochlear implants and remembered we lived in this area. She was amazed at how well he spoke and thought he looked great. I told her a little about his tourette syndrome, OCD and ADHD. She asked where he went to school and we talked about that for a minute. I explained we were on our way to the pulmanologist due to his cough. He really has been very healthy for the last two years! I also told her about this blog, so I am hoping she is reading it and catching up on him.

Seeing Jenna brought back so many memories. It is amazing that we ran into each other at all. I am usually at work during the time we were at Target and it would only be the summer when I might be in there on a weekday at that time. I usually go in on the electronics end of the store, but because we needed cat litter, I went in on the other end of the store. I remember seeing her as we walked in, so the timing on that is just amazing. I tend to think that we weren't meant to run into each other. I tend to think an angel pushed us both in the right direction to let us meet. I needed a real pick me up today and Jenna provided that. I hope she is reading this and knows what an angel she was when Elijah was under her care.

No comments:

Post a Comment