THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vocabulary!



Elijah's behavior has improved some, but today I wanted to post about his vocabulary. He still amazes me at times. Just this morning, we saw a very pretty FULL moon. It was HUGE in the sky!

Elijah says, "the moon orbits the earth. The earth orbits the sun. Mars has two moons. Jupiter has 63(I don't remember what he said) moons." We talked about it and how maybe when he gets older he can be an astronomer!

I was amazed at the vocabulary though...moon, ORBIT, Mars and Jupiter. He also remembered his /s/ at the end of plural words. Orbit was the huge one today. Last week it was the word NEVERMIND. He called for me and I replied with just a minute. As I began to walk in, he said "Nevermind mom. I got it." WOW, what a huge word for him.

As far as has deafness and language development I am continuously amazed at how much he learns and uses. Now we just have to keep working on behavior!

3 comments:

  1. Good for him. I was oral only deaf since birth with HAs ( not CI) and I was very familiar with the word "NEVERMIND" because I was told nevermind way too many times.

    Science have always been an interesting subject for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great!!! We're about to take DW in for a speech eval because of some sounds they think he needs help with. Truth is, I never notice except when he takes his aids off, then I notice the change in how he pronounces a few things.

    I think you're doing a great job with him and I know it gets rough but, you're amazingly strong and I know he'll pull out of his behavior funk for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh don't you love that nevermind from hearing people anonymous. UGH is all I have to say.

    JandD thanks and he has been better. Keep me posted on how DW does.

    ReplyDelete