THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Friday, January 28, 2011

The Case of the Dangling EAR

So Elijah is always letting his left processor coil DANGLE off his head. It drives me crazy. I worked too darn hard to get him that second surgery and second EAR to let him have it dangle off his head. I swear I could put a montage together from our vacation last year that I video taped of me saying....PUT YOUR EAR ON ELIJAH.

His left "ear" is his second ear to be implanted and was done about three years after his first "ear" was done. I think he still prefers his first "ear" but if I take away the left one he begs to have it back. I think he has trained me to just tell him to put it back on.

I decided this morning that if I see that left one dangling, or right one even, then I am going to take away both "ears" for 5 minutes and the next time 10 minutes. Condition him to keep it on.

He hears well out of both ears. Maybe it is related to his tourette syndrome and other issues or maybe he just likes the right one better. I'll keep y'all posted.

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy, when I saw "dangling ears" I thought of something graphic. But I immediately knew it was CI.

    Same with this article because it titled, " Thieves take little boy's ears and eyes" http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/thieves-take-little-boys-eyes-ears-20110127-1a5q4.html I really thought they mutated the boy and wasn't sure I wanted to read the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you realized it was a CI. Since I started taking him off the computer for a time out when his "ear" dangles he has made more of an effort to keep it on.
    I'll check out the article! I can see how someone could get confused with that title for the article!

    ReplyDelete