THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Friday, April 2, 2010

Playing with Others



Today I my niece Tabitha came over to stay with us for the day. Usually, Elijah can be a bit bossy with her and not interact well with her. I really enjoy having Tabitha come over because she makes a very good playmate for Elijah. She is a bit younger, but maturity wise Elijah is more at her age level. They did great together today.

We went to Walmart so I could do my grocery shopping. At one point Tabitha said, "I found 250,000 eggs yesterday!" I said, "250,000??". Elijah started lauging and he said, "No one million!" Well they both started going back and forth with, "I am going to pay you back 2 billion dollars," and the other would reply "No, I am going to pay you back $1,000." They went back and forth like this the whole time we shopped. Elijah would start running, she would follow and of course I would say "stop running" and they both stopped and would come back! Elijah got to act like a big brother instead of being the "baby" of the family. He was so polite and sweet with her. Of course, she is always sweet!

We came home, ate some lunch and the dyed some eggs. Again, they did great together. Neither of them were bossy, and they used very polite words when dying and decorating the eggs. Later they shared and played with toys. Tabitha asked if she could have a turn and Elijah said yes and let her have a toy.

I have seen so much growth in Elijah in the last few months. There is still a lot of work ahead for him, but he has come so far. My sister-in-law thanked me for keeping Tabitha today, but it was a joy for me for so many reasons. I also got to play with Tabitha, we did the Wii fit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment