THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Sunday, April 4, 2010

It's Just Not Fair

OK, I just need to vent for a minute and let off some steam. I am not aggravated at Elijah, more at the situation.

For whatever reason tonight, he brings up our cat Ridgeway, who died in November 2008. This is over a year ago. He has been going to sleep with no problems since I can't even remember, but not tonight. Tonight I can hear him crying in his room. He mentions Ridgeway and how he misses him. Now you must realize, at this point he cannot hear me. I sign to him that I miss the cat too and it is time to go to sleep. He says YES and I leave after a few hugs and kisses. About ten minutes later I hear him sobbing in his room and so I go back in. He says I LOVE YOU MOM....I miss Ridgeway. I took him a melatonin pill and I put his processor back on. I am stern and tell him he must go to sleep or no computer for tomorrow. I tell him that Ridgeway did die and is in heaven, but NOW it is time to go to sleep. I hate to be so stern, but he doesn't GET IT when I am nice about going to sleep.

It just isn't fair that on top of having Tourettes with OCD, ADHD and anxeity that he has to be DEAF. With his implants he can hear, but there are SOME situations that he cannot....bathtime, swimming, and bedtime are the main times that I can think of. He does know some sign so I can sign to him, and he does talk back to me, but NOT enough sign for us to have a REALLY good conversation. It just isn't fair that he is deaf AND Tourettes, OCD, ADHD and anxiety. I consider that second grouping ONE neurological condition.

I am thankful that he does have such a good language set. His language skills are good, don't get me wrong, but there are times when it is NOT good enough.

OK, my vent is done and I feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment