THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Friday, June 13, 2014

Just One More Thing

Elijah just can't seem to ever catch a break. When we went to the pediatrician on Monday, he had blood drawn. He is on so many meds for his Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD, that the doctor wanted to check his liver function and whatever else could be affected. The doctor also checked his cholesterol which was a little high, but not too bad, and also checked for diabetes. Well, he doesn't have diabetes, but he is not too far from it. The nurse said she was going to send me information on a Step 1 diet. I really wasn't too surprised, he has put on so much weight in the last two years. I can blame it on medicine, but I can also blame it on poor food choices.

I was at the rec center when the nurse called and then my honey actually called me. She was close by, so Elijah and I met her at the grocery store. We picked up some fruit, yogurt and Cheerios. Cheerios will be for breakfast. The fruit will be for a snack as will the yogurt. I have needed an incentive to lose weight and now I have one....for Elijah, because he needs to lose weight. I am also going to have him walk with me whenever I go walking. All we can do is get up every morning and tackle this the best that we can. I am going to start counting his calories too. I tried to explain to him why we have to change things up with what he eats, and finally told him if he doesn't make these changes then there are needles in his future. I know this isn't going to be easy, for any of us. He doesn't have diabetes now, and my goal is for him NOT to ever get it. This is a true kick in the rear for me, but I think I needed it to put these changes in place!

No comments:

Post a Comment