THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Saturday, August 3, 2013

Igneous Rock

One things that amazes me about Elijah is how well he learns new vocabulary words. He is a deaf child, who does wear cochlear implants, who has a strong vocabulary. Many of the words he uses, I have not taught him. He has learned them at school or incidentally through experiences in everyday life.

A few weeks ago I wrote a blog post about him telling me about obsidian rocks. Well, the other day we were out driving and I asked him again about studying rocks. I asked him what his favorite rock was and he told me obsidian rock. He then added, "It is an ignus rock." I then said, "An igneous rock?" and he replied with "YES!" All I can say is WOW! His pronunciations aren't always great, but he does know what he is talking about. I wasn't sure if obsidian rock was an igneous rock so I looked it up and of course, Elijah was correct!

Elijah is so very smart, and I am hoping that he will show it more in school and in his life. He loves science, so of course, he has soaked in this vocabulary. However, he hates doing homework, so he doesn't want to work on any school work. ARGH! Not good for someone who wants to study rocks and go to college!

We will be visiting his junior high school in a little over a week. Due to some rezoning of the school district, he will be attending a different school than we had planned on at his ARD. I am going to be sure to tell them about his love for science!

No comments:

Post a Comment