THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Friday, August 16, 2013

Graduate School

Today's blog is more of an update on ME! I am returning to college and will be working on my Masters in Special Education focusing on becoming a diagnostician. I had been wanting to return to school for several years, but had never followed through. Now that the boys are older and Elijah is more mature(I hope!), I can finally focus on me a bit. I also wasn't sure what I wanted to study if I returned to school, so that had kept me from pursuing a Masters.

I did some research and found that I could attend Texas Tech online and complete my Masters in three years. I can do it in two and a half if I take two classes for one summer. I decided to focus on becoming a diagnostician, because there are very few, if any, diagnosticians in our state that know sign language and who have an understanding of how deaf kids function. I have worked with some great diagnosticians, but there is a piece missing when an interpreter has to be used.

I am excited about starting my online classes on August 26th. I have ordered my books and am all registered. I applied for financial aid and received a grant and a loan. Jacob is going to be a senior and Elijah will be in seventh grade. It will be a very busy year, but in the long run, I think this will give me many more options in my career.  I will let y'all know how it is going!

No comments:

Post a Comment