THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Wednesday, March 20, 2013

JACOB IS DRIVING!

I am sorry I haven't posted sooner! Life has been busy, but JACOB PASSED HIS DRIVING TEST! WOOHOO! He did a great job and has had his license since last Thursday. There are a few laws that he has to abide by that are specifically for teen and this is from the STATE OF TEXAS!

  • He can have only one friend in the car at a time. He can have as many family members as he wants, but no friends.
  • He cannot drive between 12AM and 5AM  unless it is an emergency.
  • He cannot text, call or even hold his phone to look at a text while driving! If he does, then his license is gone...if caught by a police officer.
My partner bought a new car and sold me her car, so he has a car. We had to get it inspected and do some work to it, but he is all set now. He purchased his parking permit yesterday and today was his first day to drive to school. He texted me once he arrived and had a HUGE smile on his face when he arrived home.

I have been searching for MONTHS for an app to put on his phone so that I could TRACK him and make sure he doesn't text or call on his phone while driving. I found one called Canary and it is actually The Canary Project if you look it up online.http://thecanaryproject.com/ Here is a link to their website. You can use it on an Android phone or an iPhone. I set up the account online for free then put the app on Jacob's phone, choosing the teen phone when I opened the app. Once I put the app on I did have to pay a one time $9.99 fee. I then downloaded the app on my phone, choosing the parent phone once I opened the app.  Jacob cannot open the app on his phone unless he has my password. I can then monitor him using the website OR my iPhone. If he travels over 12 MPH and texts or calls I get a text alert. I also get an email alert. If he travels outside of the safe zone I set up on his GEOFENCE, then I get an alert. I can also see where he is, or rather his phone is, any time using the GPS on the app OR on the website.

Overall, I am very pleased with this app. There is no monthly subscription and I have been able to talk to tech support twice when I needed assistance. He can now drive himself to his soccer games that he referees. He arrived home to tell me he needed poster board. I told him he could stop on the way to his friend's house and buy some. I gave him some money and told him I expected change. I can now see on my app that he has arrived at his friend's house. Some people may think I am being over protective, but I want to keep him safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment