THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Another Milestone for Jacob

Jacob is taking his driving test tomorrow! He was supposed to take it this past Monday, but I didn't read the test appointment reminder email very well. I didn't see we needed to be there an hour ahead of time! We came home and I started looking for another place for him to take the test and we decided to try the new Driver's License Mega Center that was about 30 minutes away. Well, he didn't get to take the driving test on Monday, but we got an appointment for Thursday, TOMORROW! I can hardly believe that by tomorrow afternoon, he may be a driving teen!

Jacob even has a car now! My partner decided to purchase a used car and sold me her old car. I went down yesterday and got the title changed over to me and it now has insurance on it. I am worried about him driving, but also feel like it is a right of passage he needs to go through. He works as a referee and after tomorrow he can now drive himself back and forth to games. He also has to start looking for another job, so he can help pay for his car insurance and gas!

I am a bit worried about throwing Jacob out onto the road. I have been looking at some driving apps that can help me monitor whether or not he is texting or calling while driving. I think I may try CANARY because it is only $9.99 and will send me alerts if Jacob texts or call while driving over 12 MPH. Our car insurance company offers In-Drive, which would get us a 5% discount on his insurance by sending information about his driving to State Farm. For $9.99 a month I can also have alerts sent to me if he is speeding or takes a turn too fast. It isn't that Jacob isn't a good driver, he is, but he is also inexperienced. I don't plan on using this information to punish him, but to open up avenues of discussion about what happened while he was driving.

I am sure my stomach will be in knots as he drives away for the first time. I have to let him leave the nest though, that is part of my job as a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment