THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Monday, January 14, 2013

Sugar!

In yesterday's blog I mentioned that I thought the sugar from the doughnuts affected Elijah and made him arguementative. Well, today he got in trouble for hitting another student. The principal called me and he has consequences at school and I had some for him at home. I told her I was going to check online and see what he ate for lunch. I can check through the online parent page for the school district. He had a LARGE ice cream and chocolate milk. Both of these things have SUGAR! I emailed the principal to see if there was any way to monitor what Elijah eats in the cafeteria. She was going to check with the cafeteria manager.

When the principal and I talked about the incident at school, I asked how he reacted when she came and got him. He calmed down a great deal faster and was better behaved than he had been in the past. This was very good to hear. She also said he got back to work and very focussed on his work. I do think the new medication is helping a great deal, but we still have to be diligent with everything! Hopefully, he will have a better day tomorrow. Up until he hit the kid, he had had a good day! I guess that counts for something!

No comments:

Post a Comment