THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Friday, January 4, 2013

Maintaining Processors

Elijah's cochlear implant processors usually require very little maintenance. He changes his batteries when they die and that is usually what we deal with the majority of the time. He told me last week that his right ear sounded funny. I had seen the red light on the processor(Freedom) blink a few times, and there had been no code for a dying or dead battery(H1 or H2) code. The coil wire was very bent and I know it has been at least six months since we have changed it. I called Cochlear and they sent me a new one under the warranty. We have two back up coils, so I had already change it out and had the old one ready to be mailed back. The new one came in today and I got the old one all ready to be mailed back.

Sitting at dinner tonight, Elijah tells me that his left ear is now bugging him. We change his program and he says it sounds better. Later I notice the red blinking light and ask him to come over. This time there is a distinctive H3 code, which means the coil is NOT on his head, but it was on his head. So, we put a new coil on this processor and now I will call Cochlear on Monday and get them to send us another coil. At least this time, there was a code so I knew that the coil wasn't working.

He has a controller(bottom piece) that I need to replace, because the FM port cover came off. However, when they send you a new one of those, someone has to be at the house to sign for it. UGH, that is a hassle. I am going to wait for Spring Break and call before then and get another one. It works just fine and he uses his FM at school everyday, so I am sure the next controller's door will come off as well.

Elijah's warranty/service agreement on his processors expires in June of this year. I will pay for another warranty for another year. I think it is worth the money. I will also get the loss/damage coverage WITH the service agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment