THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Saturday, November 12, 2011

Never a Dull Moment!

Well, parenting a child like Elijah means there is never a dull moment. I never know how things will go with him. Right now he is having a rough time in school. I am still trying to figure out what the issue is. I am hoping when his schedule changes on Monday, things will be better. We discussed some things today and I think he is holding back some tics.

Getting back to the never a dull moment....he was up at 6:30 this morning. I didn't get up until around 8:00. I heard him up, but he usually does pretty good on his own for a bit. I had left out his cereal for him to make his breakfast. Due to his behavior he has lost all privledges to electronics and I kept the TV remote in my room for the den so he was limited on what he could watch. Well I walk into the den this morning to a cat toy TAPED to the ceiling fan and tape on several other fan blades. I also noticed some white spots on the fan where he had pulled tape off of the blade and pulled off some of the brown varnish. I removed the tape and had the same outcome. Needless to say, I was not pleased. Instead of staying home with brother today, he got to go and run errands with me.

He has really been "off" this week. I am not sure if it is due to the time change, hormones, or just something that will happen sometimes. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is maddening for me.....and I am sure it is for him too.
I know I sound like I am complaining, but the tourettes, OCD and ADHD are just hard to figure out. I never know what will happen next, or what will work for him. He is on some major restrictions this weekend and I am working on a reward system. We shall see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment