THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Watching Elijah!

We joined the city's Recreation Center yesterday! It has some really nice work out equipment and a basketball court for the kids to play. I can work out on the second floor and see Elijah down playing on the basketball court. When we went to check it out he cried when we left, he wanted to stay. We had joined, but I wasn't really in work out clothes, so I promised we would go back and we did.

Jacob went with us yesterday and I walked a mile on the treadmill. Jacob kept an eye on his brother, but I told him he didn't really have to "watch" him. Jacob is a good big brother, but like any brother he is annoyed by his little brother. They did pretty good though and Elijah interacted well with many of the other kids.

Elijah and I went back today. He got a basketball and headed for the court and I headed upstairs. I walked on the treadmill so I could watch Elijah. At one point I saw a boy about Elijah's age in Elijah's face pointing a finger. Elijah did well and didn't get back into the other boys face. I don't know if Elijah did something to the boy or touched the boy's ball, but he has to learn to deal with these things. Elijah walked away and joined some other boys who were playing and started talking to them. It was so hard for me not to run down and see what was going on. Of course, I also saw Elijah kick another boy's boy across the gym rather than giving it back to him. Elijah had not taken the boy, but he could have been courteous and helped the boy out.

Once I was done with my workout I went down and shot some baskets with Eiljah. We talked while we played and discussed the things I had seen. He did really well and listened. We then played some fuss ball with a game table. It was a lot of fun. I am glad that Elijah likes the Rec center and that his behavior so far has been good.

When I watch Elijah, I so wonder what is going through his head. Here he is with his CIs that make him look different. Most kids don't make a big deal about it, but some do. He then his tics and other neurological issues. I was proud of him both today and yesterday. It is good to see that he can be independent around other kids and control himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment