THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Monday, July 5, 2010

Wait and See

Elijah has gained quite a bit of weight in the last few months. Most of it is due to his medication. If you look at other pictures on this page to the right and compare them to his latest swimming picture you can see the weight change. I have been able to lower his seroquel, that he takes during the day by about 100 mg and plan on lowering it another 25 mg starting tomorrow.

However with this change I have seen more tics. Nothing too serious, but they are definitely returning. They are still better than they were back in January when they were almost all the time except when he slept. I am seeing him lick his hands and rub his face, stomp his foot, and he likes to bit on things. He got mad at me and put my arm in his mouth, but really only nibbled, no real bite. He also invades personal space a little too much, but I know it is a tic and don't react. He then backs off.

The "wait and see" is because I never really know if the increase in tics is due to the medication change or is he just having them because they are on an upswing, JUST CUZ they are. I mean there were no changes in January when the tics just bombarded him, they just increased because they did. I think this is the hardest part about medicating Elijah. Now the risperdal did help almost immediately with the tics, so I do know addding that was a good thing. The seroquel during the day was for tics, but if that doesn't help anymore than we do need to decrease it. With the weight gain we have to worry about even more things so we need to watch these medications, especially if they make him want to eat all the time!

I do know he has grown a few inches too. We go back to the endocronologsit on August 2nd. I am curious to see what he has to say about Elijah's height.

I wish there was a blood test or something to let me know if we are on the right track. Observation is all I have at this point! At least I get to be home with him over the summer during all of these changes! Now I just have to WAIT AND SEE how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment