THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. They live with their mom, Mary, who is the writer of this blog. Jacob is 19 and is now four inches taller than his mom! He also has ADHD and gorgeous red hair. He is a freshman at a technical college studying computer maintenance. Elijah is 15! He is in 9th grade and he is not in ROTC at his high school. He also had red hair, but it is lighter and not as thick as his brother's hair. He is hearing impaired(auditory neuropathy) and wears two cochlear implants. He also has tourette syndrome, ADHD, OCD and anxiety! Mary just started her 25th year as a teacher of the deaf. She is also in her last semester of graduate school to be a diagnostician! She will graduate in December of 2015!





Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tics--They seem never ending

Elijah's tics have been really bad today. They seem to be constant. Along with the tics has come this arguementative attitude. How much this attitude is attached to the tics is hard to know. I have been very clear to him that the attitude is not acceptable. In fact he has lost computer privledges for the night and I hate to say the sooner he gets to bed the better. I can almost take the constant tics, but the argueing is just tough.

Just needed to vent for a bit. Jacob had a great birthday party today and he enjoyed everyone who came. Tomorrow will be another day.

3 comments:

  1. Is it possible that the attitude is his way of trying to cope with the tics? Especially if they are really bad...he may be frustrated that the tics are so bad and taking it out in attitude.
    It doesn't excuse the 'tude, but may give ideas of how to fix it.

    I often find my attitude getting bad when I'm frustrated...and I often tell my kids to go "kick a tree" if they get really frustrated. (shoes on 1st please! no broken toes!) it is better than busting up my house or their siblings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do think it is all related, it is just hard. Most days I can handle it, but when it is for several days or just ALL day it gets tiresome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh I had that day yesterday! DW was ticing so hard by the end of the night! I know it hurts, and it's exhausting and he's tired but, on those days I think I spend the last two or three years on the verge of homicidal thoughts and crying! :) Mostly praying and praying for the those stupid, little, black hands on the clock to move faster!!!!

    After several days of it....if it helps at all, which lets face it, it doesn't exactly but, I do know how you feel. Not much comfort for you but, I'll be praying for the little, black hands on the clock to suddenly take off in a clockwise manner for you tonight!!! :)

    ReplyDelete