THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Friday, December 26, 2014

Sometimes It Is Just a Beat Down

Living with a teenager who has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD can be a huge challenge at times. Elijah is SO excited about Christmas, that he becomes obsessed with opening presents, and this is demonstrated with anger, anxiety, and with annoying others. I don't think HE means to annoy others, but he will argue and argue thinking it will get his way.

Christmas Eve morning was just NO fun. He woke up thinking he would get to open presents and I explained that we would open a few in the evening and the rest the next day. The rest of the morning is spent with him in a foul mood and being non-compliant. He just keeps mouthing and going on and on. I finally sent him to his room where he then had his little rage fit, which I ignored. Some time later, I was finally able to talk to him, but my blood pressure and my anxiety were on high alert, because Christmas Eve should not have to be a battle. The rest of the day went fine and Christmas morning went pretty well. We arrived at my dad's house to visit and then when present opening started, Elijah started with his mouthing. He wanted his present NOW and when he got cash he wasn't happy. He wanted a present. Once again, he and I had to go and have a LITTLE CHAT.

I had to send Elijah to his room twice today while his dad was here with his wife and the boy's new little brother (not so new, he is 10 months old). Elijah was telling me NO and just acting up. I wish I knew how his brain worked. I wish I knew a better way to handle him. It is like someone just flips a switch and he is another kid. I try to understand it, but after so many times of arguing with someone I just can't take it and have to just knuckle down and be a really MEAN mom and just get him to his room.

Things will get back to normal once he goes back to school. He needs the routine of school. He constantly wants his iPad, Nintendo DS or the WiiU when he is home and I limit the amount of time he has. It is usually when I am informing him that his time is up that he is his worst. He also thinks just telling me NO will change my mind about what I have asked him to do....yea whatever. I love my son, but some days are just a beat down with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment