THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. They live with their mom, Mary, who is the writer of this blog. Jacob is 19 and is now four inches taller than his mom! He also has ADHD and gorgeous red hair. He is a freshman at a technical college studying computer maintenance. Elijah is 15! He is in 9th grade and he is not in ROTC at his high school. He also had red hair, but it is lighter and not as thick as his brother's hair. He is hearing impaired(auditory neuropathy) and wears two cochlear implants. He also has tourette syndrome, ADHD, OCD and anxiety! Mary just started her 25th year as a teacher of the deaf. She is also in her last semester of graduate school to be a diagnostician! She will graduate in December of 2015!





Monday, May 19, 2014

Follow Up on the Cough

I took a half a day and took Elijah to the pulmonologist on Wednesday of last week. His breathing test was not as good as the one he had back in March. The doctor decided to put him on steroids for five days and gave me a prescription for an antibiotic as well. He also increased his inhalers to 4 puffs 4 times a day for a week of albuterol. Then for another week it would be three times a day and then back to two times a day and only two puffs.

I kept him home on Thursday, because he didn't sleep well and I wanted to get in breathing treatments over just using the inhalers. I also knew he would be wound up on steroids and he was. By Saturday, the cough was about the same so I filled the antibiotic prescription. Today was the first day that I haven't really heard him cough much. He it using his inhaler at school with the nurse watching him to be sure he is doing it correctly. I am glad he is over this hump. He has not had issues like this in a long time.

We already had an appointment for June 9th and we are keeping that one as a follow up for this cough as well as a typical check up. I am fortunate to have a doctor who is very pro-active when it comes to asthma! Some people wonder why I keep using a pulmonologist, and not just my pediatrician and this is why!

No comments:

Post a Comment