THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Saturday, November 3, 2012

Being a Mom

No one ever said being a mom was an easy job. I must say being a mom can be very rewarding, but it can also be very tiring. Being the mom of a child with special needs is even more difficult, but it can also be even more rewarding. Right now, we are in the more difficult part of raising Elijah. I must say we have had many things to celebrate in the last 12 years....cochlear implant surgery, the turn on of his "ears", his first words, coming off of oxygen, and the fact that he can converse so well.

Now Elijah's behavior has always been a challenge. Even before we knew about his Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD, we knew he was never typical. The typical discipline techniques just didn't work well with him. Even now, I have constantly be on my toes on how to handle him. Last night he lost the privilege of having a snack before bed time. He really didn't like that, so I may just use that to motivate him to behave more at home and at school. I hate taking things away from him, because I would rather reward him for good behavior, but sometimes that just doesn't seem to be as effective. I remind myself daily that Elijah's neurological system is just not like that of a typical child, but it is still hard. This past Thursday my honey had to go and pick him up from school because he was so wound up and the the principal didn't want to put him on the bus.

All I can do is take it day by day with him. As his mom, I have to keep trying....it just isn't easy. I am glad to have the support of my honey in all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment