THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Tuesday, April 10, 2012

More Puke, Poison Ivy, Doctor Visits and Mystery Shopping

Wow! What a title, but what a 24 hours it has been. This time last night, all was well in the world. Elijah had a great day at school and we had some great leftovers for dinner. I did notice I had a rash on one of my arms, and decided it must be poison Ivy from the yard work I did. I put medicine on it and hoped it would improve. My partner made it home from a late night working and we went to bed around 10:00.

My partner wakes me up around 2:45 in the morning saying, "I think Jacob is throwing up in the other bathroom." I get out of bed and sure enough, he is in there puking. He finished up, washed out his mouth and went to bed. I told him he would be staying home from school and he actually tried to argue with me that he NEEDED to go. NOW this is a turn around! Well, I won this argument and we went to bed, or so I thought. Forty-five minutes later I am up again with him puking, but there is NOTHING more to puke up so he is puking up bile and having a really HARD time. He even let me wipe him down on his face and neck with a wet wash clothe. We again went back to bed and 45 minutes later, I was up again with him. Needless to say, this kept going on and on. I decided to stay home and get him into a doctor.

I make it up around 6:30 and get Elijah off to school on the bus at 7:40. I called the clinic in town and got an 8:30 appointment for Jacob and one for me for my poison Ivy. The rash had spread and was also on my other arm. In the past, when I get poison Ivy, I don't usually have much luck with over the counter meds. I let my partner sleep, because she had to work later.

We went in and poor Jacob threw up in the trash can in the waiting room, but BOY did they get us into a back room quick. We then saw the doctor. He got a shot for nausea and I got a steroid shot. He also got a prescription for nausea and I got one for my rash so I won't itch it.

We come home and Jacob just goes right to sleep. The puking stops and he is able to hold down some liquids. I leave around 11:00 to get our meds and conduct one mystery shop in town and get a free lunch. I then come home and check on him and leave to get Elijah around 12:45. We head out to McKinney where I do two quick mystery shops(that I had planned for later, but since I was off, why not?) and then we go to the psychiatrist, where they inform me that our appointment is not until 4:15. What the heck! NO way....I remember having to make it for 2:15 so we could see the doctor, not the nurse practicioner. They were nice, but ugh, we would have to wait. Well, I had some shops that I could do instead of waiting for the weekend, so Elijah and I went and did the shops and grabbed an ice cream while we were out. I took a few phone calls from work and THEN we arrived back at 4:05 PM to wait until 4:30 to see the nurse practicioner.

All goes well with her and we don't change any meds. I stop on the way home for yet another mystery shop to get dinner which I bring home! I had planned this shop ahead of time, but it wasn't too far from home.

It was a LONG day and I am sure I'll be JUST a little tired tonight. Jacob is back asleep after eating some chicken noodle soup and I am hoping he makes it back to school tomorrow and NO ONE else gets sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment