THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Monday, February 6, 2012

The Case of the Blinking Ear!

I took Elijah to the audiologist for another visit this morning. We discussed his huge MAPPING change that occurred back on Jan. 19th and that he seemed to like Program 2 the best. She checked things out on it and we discussed that IT IS STILL blinking at times, for no apparent reason! She thinks it is a controller or coil issue, so after we left I called Cochlear Americas and they are sending me a new controller and coil.....but let's get back to the visit!

The audiologist then checked his left ear and we decided to REMAP it! She did a whole session with him, which means he had to listen. He wasn't very cooperative, but he finally got his act together. When she was done, we took a look and again there was a HUGE change in his MAP. We put his right ear back on and told him to listen and let us know if he liked it. We turned the left ear on and took off the right ear. He liked it and said it sounded good. She tested him further, by having him listen with the old MAP compared to the new MAP. I said a sentence and she switched the MAPs. It is hard to explain, but he chose the NEW MAP twice in a row. She put in two other MAPs for us to try and put his old MAP in slot 4.

We talked about his right ear again and discussed keeping an eye on it. I told her I would and we left. I really hadn't seen it blink much since Jan. 19th and was hoping all was well. Fastforward to this evening...Elijah and I were playing throwing an Angry Bird stuffed bird back and forth. All of the sudden his right ear started blinking. I asked him if his battery was dead and he said "NO it is bugging me." I motioned him over and told him to hurry. He got to me while it was still blinking and there was NO ERROR message on the screen. It stopped blinking and we talked about it bugging him. He went to sit down and it started blinking AGAIN and again I motioned him over. Again, there was no error message while it was blinking. For once, it blinked several times and not just two or three times. I emailed his audiologist to see what she thinks.

I just checked the FedEx tracking site and Elijah's new coil and controller should be here by tomorrow. I will change them both out and send the other ones back. We will then see if it "bugs" him again! I'll keep y'all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment