THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's Not Easy!

It's not easy living with a child with Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. I group them together because for Elijah they all go hand in hand. Now tics are the most obvious thing about Tourette Syndrome. For the most part, Elijah's tics are not too bad. However the last few days they have been, and we have been home for Spring Break so I never get a break. I know he can't help it, but at some point the noises can drive you insane. He has also been a bit more arguementative and not good about following directions. All of this leads to my patience thinning over time.

Today we went to the pulmanologist. He was just all over the place on the drive there. I had errands to run and those took about 90 minutes after the two hour doctor's appointment. It was for both boys so that is one reason it took so long. Elijah was better during the errands. We then get home and are home for about two hours when he spills something on his shirt. Ok no problem, we will just change his shirt. Well he goes to take off his processors and mentions that ONE of them has a missing battery cage. Now I ask him WHEN did he notice it not working and he of course, doesn't answer. We look all over the house and then I call the doctor's office and they find it in the examining room and will mail it to me. This means from at least NOON to 4:00 he was walking around NOT hearing out of that one ear and NOT telling me that he couldn't hear. ARGHHHHHHH! I totally thinks this goes to immaturity and anxiety of knowing losing it means he gets in trouble, but if he would tell me right away we could find it. I am still amazed they found it at the doctor's office.

No comments:

Post a Comment