THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. They live with their mom, Mary, who is the writer of this blog. Jacob is 19 and is now four inches taller than his mom! He also has ADHD and gorgeous red hair. He is a freshman at a technical college studying computer maintenance. Elijah is 15! He is in 9th grade and he is not in ROTC at his high school. He also had red hair, but it is lighter and not as thick as his brother's hair. He is hearing impaired(auditory neuropathy) and wears two cochlear implants. He also has tourette syndrome, ADHD, OCD and anxiety! Mary just started her 25th year as a teacher of the deaf. She is also in her last semester of graduate school to be a diagnostician! She will graduate in December of 2015!





Monday, August 16, 2010

Debating Again

My great debate is about medication....again. I came home and Elijah had done well with my sister, Katie(age 19) who babysat for him today and will do so for the rest of the week. I had forgotten to tell Katie about Elijah's chewing and thankfully I had put him in an older shirt that he had already chewed on. He actually chewed a HOLE in his collar today! I pulled the chewelry out and showed it to Kaite, not mentioning the hole....not her fault! I'll remind her about it tomorrow and actually PUT the necklace on Elijah. I am still not sure if it is a tic or compulsion, but either way I can't have him chewing his clothes up.

After dinner we ran to Albertsons. I needed a few things to finish out this week and we ran by Blockbuster too. While in Albertsons and on the way home, I noticed a huge upswing in Elijah's tics. OH my, he was slapping at his legs, snorting, sniffing and slapping at his torso area. It continued when we got home and in the bathtub. I think I noticed them because they had lessened in the last few days. He has been off of his afternoon tic medication for about 10 days. One reason I don't him taking it, unless he really has to is due to his weight. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

He is too cute though. He helps me look for low fat cookies and doesn't mind eating them. He drinks the sugar free Kool Aid and uses sugar free syrup. He even asked to do his sit ups. We aren't walking just due to the heat...maybe tomorrow we can try the Wii Fit!

I sure wish it were easier to make decisions about medications!

No comments:

Post a Comment