THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Friday, March 12, 2010

Why?

Why is it when we travel, Elijah tends to just GIVE me harder time than usual? We decided to come to my mom's this weekend since we are all off for spring break. We are just staying for two nights. The boys were pretty good on the drive down. Typical bickering but nothing too bad. Got here and got the cat settled. we don't usually bring one of the cats, but Tiger has a wound that needes tending so we could not leave him at home. By the way, he is the sweetest kitty in the world and did great on the drive.

My mom was on the phone with her sister, who is staying with my grandmother who is not doing well. I get Elijah out of his bath and hand him his clothes. I go to get his implants and then Elijah starts yelling at the top of his lungs he needs help. He can't hear himself and has no idea my mom is on the phone. I go in and motion for him to be quiet(with a finger to my lips) and HE GOT LOUDER. I try to put his processors on and he won't let me so he can listen. I draped them(they are on eargear) around his neck and he YELLS at me ....YOU DO IT. He also starts yelling for grandma who is still on the phone. I just walked away at that point and left him in the room. He finally put his "ears" on and told him he could come out when he stopped crying. He did calm down and now things are fine. He just always has to test me when we are out of our normal routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment