THE SHADDOX BOYS

Jacob and Elijah Shaddox are brothers. Jacob is 21 years old and just moved into an apartment with his girlfriend. He graduated from a technical college with an Associate's degree in Computer Maintenance. He works for a school district as a computer technician. Elijah is almost 18 years old. He is hearing impaired, has Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD. He is a junior in high school. Elijah lives with his mom Mary and her wife, his stepmom. Mary has a bachelor's in deaf education and a masters in special education, and is an educational diagnostician. Life is always changing and this blog has chronicled many of these changes and will continue to do so!






Saturday, April 24, 2010

More progress!

I wrote about the small victory on Thursday for Elijah. Well we have had two more good days. Last night, I took Elijah to an ASL(American Sign Language) chat at a coffee shot about 30 min from us. My friend teaches ASL at a high school in the area and she has started a deaf chat night once a month. Elijah played very well with my friends three girls and overall acted like any other typical boy! He was a bit mischiveous but nothing horrible. When I counted backwards from three, no voice, only using my fingers to count, he would stop what he was doing and come to me! That is a huge step for him!

Today my sister-in-law, brother and niece met us at Chik-Fil-A(however you spell that) and the kids played in the indoor play area. At one point I see a woman speaking to Tabitha looking out the window. I figure the woman was asking Tabitha who Elijah's mom was. I went over and sure enough Elijah was being a little rough with some of the kids. I explained his issues to the woman, who was very nice, and asked Elijah to come down. We talked about his behavior and I told him it was time to go back to the table to eat some more. He left with me for the table and sat and ate his lunch. We talked some more about how he was supposed to behave when in a play area. After sitting for a bit, I let him go back to play. He did fine and no more issues. Now him just being able to leave with me to go back to the table with NO arguing is a huge milestone for him. It usually becomes a battle and becomes unpleasant. I did praise him later for how he handled leaving the play area and reviewed why he had to leave the play area.

He is defiintely making progress. They may be baby steps but he is moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment